Monday, July 21, 2008

Yuck


This morning I was excited to find a nice-looking recipe for mushroom and veggie meatball paprikash with dumplings - mmm! mmm!

It all went as planned until I realized that the only paprika I had had been passed down to me from some of my descendants, I think from around the time of the ice age. Really, it was very old and I didn't trust it.

I guess paprikash isn't much without paprika. I made it anyway and was a little embarrassed to even put it on our plates. It was a watery mess. Rather tasteless, too.

So, if I ever invite you over for paprikash, politely decline. I'll totally understand.

5 comments:

Dave said...

If you inherited that paprika from your descendants it would be from the future, no?

Perhaps we will be living in caves again someday?

wildmary said...

Dave, only you would notice that!
I'll bet the paprika-less paprikash was good in spite of the lackness of paprika!

Anonymous said...

The Smithsonian was looking for that bottle of paprika! It was Betsy Ross's. I think they're offering $3 million for it's safe return.

Dave said...

My mother had a bottle of cayenne pepper that was super-old too. It was almost white. When I looked at the expiration date (the year was 1989), it said 1975!

Alisa said...

Okay, first of all, I can never get the ascendant/descendant thing right. Anyone have a mnemonic device useful for that?

And, Mary, the lackness of paprika made it stink, truly. Don't try this at home.

As far as old spices, they are only good for cheap aftershave.