
David and I braved the bike trail again yesterday evening. (We did the same ride as the last time, only this time I didn't collapse upon our return.)
The bike trail begins not too far from our house and much of it is wooded. The trail is either paved with smooth asphalt or gravel, the little tiny gravel that makes the ride smooth.
Coming home, the aroma of the woody dampness was intoxicating. Rabbits scurried into the vegetation on either side of us as we approached (I always feel bad when wildlife runs away from me. Of course I know that it's its fearful nature that's what keeps species' going, but I love animals so much, I always feel that they should know that and treat me like they did Snow White), and the river immediately to the east ran alongside us, so calmly.
The smell of the woods brings me back to my days at Camp Tamarack. For two years, my ninth and tenth, I hopped on the bus and went to Brighton, Michigan for three weeks of action and fun. One year we hiked to "Dinosaur Land." This was an area filled with huge, fallen trees, like a game of Pick-Up-Sticks for a giant child. We walked along the trunks, arms outstretched as if on a balance beam, leaped over them, stopped to see their rotting bark. I remember the day was damp and it must have smelled just like it did last night.
I felt so good and happy when we got home. Being surrounded by the rush of traffic, the hum of computers, and the glare of fluorescent lights can make one forget the beauty that is so close by. Being immersed in what the world was like before all of those things (except for the asphalt!) is so relaxing and rejuvenating.

No comments:
Post a Comment