Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Honesty


I met a new friend. Her name is Carol and she is the wife of my childhood friend Jay, who I hadn't seen for about 15 years until I visited him and his wife and son in Detroit this past weekend.

On Sunday, a bunch of us went out for Chinese food in my old neighborhood. My sister was there and she told Carol, "Either you really like Alisa or you don't like her at all."

Well, after I got over being offended, I think I realized what she was trying to say. (Or at least I hope I do. I hope that I am not like liver - people either really can't stand to be around me or will still risk it in spite of the cholesterol!) I really love being a friend. Your friend. And if you want to be my friend, be it, or don't. But don't be wishy-washy about it because I can't take it.

No pressure there. It's just the truth. And it's taken me almost 44 years to get this on paper. Really, it's taken that long and an almost-insult by my sister for me to even realize it.

Am I finally at that age where I don't care so much what people think, freeing me to live my life the way I want? Not quite. But I'm getting there. And it feels good.

4 comments:

Carol Weiss said...

I don't think your sister meant any harm in her comment. You are a very cool person and I am convinced that we were buddies in a formal life. It was a fabulous weekend-let's definitely do it again soon!

wildmary said...

Alisa, I don't believe I've ever met you but we grew up on the same street in different decades and I'm here to say I like you. Someday we'll meet and I'll see who this exceptional writer is!
Mary, Dave Wild's sister.
P.S. I am definitely at the age or as I prefer, maturity level to realize that the people who know me best aren't in my life to be impressed and the others, well I'm not here to impress them. I've never been happier!

Anonymous said...

I didn't think my statement made such an impact. I hope you didn't take it the wrong way. You love with all of your heart and that makes you SO special. You're not only my sister but my best friend and I appreciate you so much. I don't know how to explain the comment I made to you but it wasn't meant to be a put down.

Alisa said...

Thanks, Mary! I think I remember seeing you about once when I was growing up!

I'ts nice to finally arrive at that conclusion - you don't have to be everything to everyone and you can't be.

I hope we do get to meet - I enjoy your blog, as well!