Saturday, July 5, 2008

Let the Sparks Fly!


A summer night and fireworks - can anything beat it? Oh, how I love the fireworks! Naperville puts on quite a show and last night was no exception. After the last sparks, someone actually yelled out, "AMERICA!"

The fireworks are centered around a large pond by the hospital (go figure); while it is still light, so many people (and dogs - the calm kind) gather around on their blankets, waiting, laughing, playing cards. Out comes the bug repellent. Kids run around, teenagers gab, families chat. (We met up with the family of one of Madeleine's friends and had a nice time getting to know the parents.) Then, as it gets darker and darker, the anticipation builds.

By the time it is full dark, you can feel the expectation; we all wonder when the first glorious blast will light up the sky. Finally, it happens, amid oohs and aahs, applause.

Every year I sit mesmerized. Ever since I was a small child and we sat in the high school field and watched, I have sat mesmerized. July 4 in Oak Park, Michigan was spectacular. I could not imagine ever being anywhere else on that magnificent day. The parade was long and filled with people I knew, myriad kids riding their decorated bikes from the bowling alley to the park, their silver spokes proudly adorned in red, white, and blue plastic covers. The bands, especially the bagpipes, gave me goosebumps. Even the politicians were fun, rolling slowly by in their vintage cars, waving and throwing handfuls of candy out to the masses. Then, finally, the police cars would cruise on in, sirens blaring, signaling the end of the line. The ending was always a little sad, but really, the fun was just beginning, as we all trekked to the park for an afternoon of games, food and friends.

Cooking out that night on the old Weber was a must (one year my sister decided to take over the spatula and everything tasted like lighter fluid), then as dusk prevailed over the sunshine, off we went to the fireworks show.

The only thing better than that whole scene was the fact that my birthday was coming up in only 13 days. These days, I try to ignore that fact!!

5 comments:

Dave said...

I know what you mean about the lighter fluid thing. I was at a BBQ once and the guy running the show just kept squirting the stuff right onto the chicken!

Alisa said...

Yuck!

Carol Weiss said...

The 4th of July wouldn't be the same without fireworks. We try to make it a point to go to fireworks every 4th of July weekend and even have a little fun in the neighborhood with some of our own.

Anonymous said...

The Oak Park Parade was bad this year. The only good thing was the band from Martin Luther King High School. The festivities at the park was equally as bad. There wasn't one person I knew and the crowd was thin. I was truly saddened to see the parade this year. I'm hoping next year will be better.

Diane said...

On July 4th, I sat on my swing as I watched fireworks in the sky. I recollected as many 4th of July's as I could (not all 44 of them). I went inside and recorded this. Why not??

Do you recall the fireworks we used to go to in B'ham? We would get all dolled up and bring a blanket. That was fun!!!