Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Heavy Metal


I just read an article about Luis Zarate, a Peruvian man who went to the hospital suffering from severe stomach pain. "Doctors were stunned," the article read, "when an X-ray revealed that the man had swallowed a knife, nails, screws, a watch and even barbed wire."

Just a thought: would you wait for the x-ray, or might you instead give the doctors a little heads-up? Isn't that kind of a big thing not to mention at the outset?

5 comments:

Dave said...

I think the doc should have known from the clanks and rattles as the guy walked in. Thank goodness they didn't do an MRI!

Anonymous said...

I have actually known people who have done things like this. It is called Pica. My thought though was if this guy had gas he could have shot some one. (ok, sick therapist humor, so sue me.)

Carol Weiss said...

not if you have munchhimer's disease-spelled wrong but I watched all about it on Grey's Anatomy.

Alisa said...

You guys crack me up. It is funny, but not. What an outrageous thing!

I've heard of pica, but I thought that was like eating dirt or clay. But nail, screws and barbed wire??!

Anonymous said...

Perhaps he was anemic? It is not like he swallowed a mosquito or anything like that. That would be truly gross.