Saturday, July 26, 2008

Mr. Sherman, I Hardly Recognize You


A family story I love is the one about how my great-grandfather came to acquire the name Sherman. His father, a Pole named Louis Paskovitz (not sure of the correct spelling) needed a job. It was the early 20th century and I suppose times weren't the greatest, although it was well before the Great Depression. This is how the story goes:

My great grandfather met a man named Mr. Sherman. Mr. Sherman, who was employed with Ford Motor Company, was moving away from the Detroit area. Louis told him that he was looking for work, so Mr. Sherman said, why didn't he just take his job? He didn't need it anymore, and while he was at it, just use his name, too. That way he could just go to work on the assembly line and no one would be the wiser. So he did and the Shermans, of which I am a member, came into being.

Just think what else you could get away with in those days if you were so inclined!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

That was a great story. Papa always had a great story to tell. Who knew if 1/2 of them were even true...may he rest in peace.

Dave said...

That's great. Reminds me of a story, not as funny but still good, that I need to blog...