Monday, July 7, 2008

One-Second Boo-Boo


Remember when you were really young and ran on the sidewalk and tripped? Then you got your knees scraped and just a little bloody and had to pick little concrete pebbles out of the heels of your hands and they left little tiny indentations there? And then you were on your way again?

I kind of miss that.

Now I run on a treadmill at the Y and if I fell I'd probably knock myself out on the metal handle, then fly backwards into some mean lady in skin-tight Nike workout shorts who would yell at me for disturbing her stair-stepping.

Gone are the days of flying down the block in such a hurry to play with your friends that you forget about that raised sidewalk block that's been in front of the Braun's house since before you were even born. Gone is popping back onto your feet as soon as you go down and not even thinking to look around you to make sure some cute guy or snobby neighbor didn't see you trip like an idiot. Gone are the days of not even thinking that you are clumsy for falling - in those days, you just fell, it was part of the package.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Makes me remember those days when my pant leg would get caught in the chain of my bike and I'd fall and everything would be alright until I saw mom and then cried my eyes out! Gotta love those bell bottoms!

Alisa said...

Didn't you wear a rubber band to keep your pant leg gathered at the ankle? Amateur!

Dave said...

I think I remember that raised sidewalk block.