Monday, July 14, 2008

Shrinking Former Life

I am in Detroit this weekend visiting friends. Tonight we were in my old neighborhood, the one I grew up in until I was 21. I've been there a few times over the years, but for some reason today everything looked really small. I mean everything, from my old backyard to the big haunted house around the corner, the strip mall where we had Chinese Food (if you're in town, make sure to stop at Golden Bowl on 9 and Coolidge - the veggie egg foo young rocks and if you can put up with the brash hostess/order-taker without smacking her, you've got great self-control), even the mailbox on the far corner of my old block seems capable of holding only half as many letters as it did twenty years ago.

Either my eyes have grown bigger, or the city has really shrunk. I wonder which one.

3 comments:

Dave said...

The city shrunk. I just measured it. A relativity thing, I think.

Diane said...

You are right. I travel through the old 'hood many times and everything just looks smaller...

Diane

Anonymous said...

Next time you want to have a little fun and check your hearing...call (248) 398-5502 when the lady answers and yells "GOLDEN BOWL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" Ask if they have Almond Boneless Pizza.

That lady is so loud and rude I want to throw hot sizzling rice soup on her. I guess my secret hate for her just came out.