I just bent over really far and when I straightened up again I saw stars. Stars are cool (as long as they are not the result of trauma to the head). Plus, they are sneaky and evade your direct glare - ever notice that they fly around at the edges of your vision, but when you try to look straight at one, it goes away?
I was interested in knowing what these "stars" actually are, and I know you are too. So...according to the Web site, Everything2.com: "Seeing stars is usually due to a lack of blood reaching the brain, and thus a lack of oxygen. Most commonly this happens after standing up quickly or straightening after bending over...Physical trauma may also cause the reflex to malfunction, which is why stars float around Sylvester the Cat's head when he gets bonked...The stars you see are actually neurons in your visual cortex misfiring, a hallucination at the lowest possible level."
So, basically they are teeny tiny, harmless little hallucinations. Cool!

3 comments:
I saw more than stars when I had my appendix taken out this past January. I would see faces and objects that weren't there, but only when I'd closed my eyes. I think it might have had something to do with the dilaudid they were giving me. You should try it :)
Thanks for looking that up for us, Alisa. I always wondered that. I think we could all use a little more hallucinations.
When birds start flying around your head is it time to see the doctor?
Post a Comment