Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Simple, Yet Enormous, Pleasure


Something wonderful just happened to me. I threw together a nice seafood salad this morning for today's lunch and then realized we were out of the bread I wanted to have with it. Sadly, I counted six Ritz crackers into a baggie and realized that half of my lunch today would be a consolation prize.

When I walked into the office kitchen to retrive my Gladware, laying, what it surely thought was innocuously, on the table beside the fridge was a large platter of muffins, pastries and, les pièces de résistance...CROISSANTS!

Oh, how I love, no, idolize, croissants. They are the food of the gods, a meal to a starving man, a storm to the drought. Laden with butter, their floaty, flaky layers cause explosions of delight when they land on my tongue and with every bite I offer up gratitude to the baking genius who thought up these wondrous creations.

I spent my lunch hour outside on the patio, sunning myself, reading my wonderful book, and eating seafood salad with my precious, precious croissant.

Life is good.

1 comment:

Dave said...

You make it sound almost good enough to eat :)