Sunday, July 20, 2008

Cheese Please!



We were at a banquet hall today (more on that later). For some reason, I love banquet halls, especially the older, kitschy ones. If that puts me in the lowbrow category, then rush me on in, because for some reason standing in the midst of peeling orangey-brown vanity-top Formica or worn, pink sculptured carpeting gives me the warm fuzzies.

Years ago David and I were at a wedding whose reception took place at a hall which featured pinkish, glittery stucco walls. I am sure there was something else that was happening in that room, maybe eating and love or some such stuff, but I'm really not sure because I was so enthralled with the walls. It was all I could do to tear my gaze away from them long enough to watch the bride and groom kiss to the clatter, uh, symphony, of forks on glass. Those walls positively sparkled!

Today's banquet hall was disappointingly decent. But there was one huge saving grace which, if not for my strange drive to check out every bathroom I come across (from what I've gathered from my Bubbie, I was notorious in my family for that strange urge), I would have missed. The doors to the restrooms were covered completely in that leather that you see on couches, maroon, little puckers where buttons were placed every six inches or so. Really. I've never in my life seen doors like this and I was particularly pleased. I barely even remember what I did once I entered the ladies' room because I was so excited about getting out to experience those doors one more time.

On our way out, I gazed lovingly, longingly at those gloriously tacky washroom doors. Who, oh who, came up with those? Are their own bathroom doors at home adorned with such majesty?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I believe that somewhere there is a banquet hall school of design, whereby budding designers become expert in all things cheesy.

Anonymous said...

I never knew you liked that kinda stuff. Do you like the smell of moth balls and stale air too?

Alisa said...

Moth balls and stale air are better than freshly-baked glazed cinnamon rolls!