
As long as we're on the subject of how funny Madeleine is, I thought I'd relate this story, one of my very favorites.
When Maddie was about two-and-a-half, I took her to see "How the Grinch Stole Christmas" on the big screen. She sat on my lap for much of the movie and I could tell that she really enjoyed watching that mean green little creature wreak havoc and then turn his life around.
Later that night, when I told her that it was bedtime, that short little girl, barely out of diapers, looked straight at me and said, "No, you bitch."
Well, as I sat quite paralyzed for a few moments, I became aware of the many thoughts and emotions that had begun to course through me. I had thought I was a good mom - after all, hadn't we just gone to the movies that very day, sat in the same cozy seat eating popcorn and sharing overall hearty giggles? Hadn't I tucked her in every night, told her how much I loved her, greeted her with hugs, kisses and colossal smiles every morning? And she called me a bitch? Where had she heard such language? At two, people should not be saying such things around you, so I thought that I had better begin a re-assessment of those she was hanging out with (basically David and I, our friends, her daycare provider and a bunch of little kids her age).
My two-year-old had called me a bitch?
I began to have to stifle laughter, because, really, this was funny. She was so little and such a big word had just come out of her mouth. I said, "Madeleine, where in the world did you hear that word?"
"Green hand," she said.
Ahh, I was only a Grinch after all.

No comments:
Post a Comment