This evening David, Maddie and I went out for a lovely Father's Day dinner at Ted's Montana Grill, our new favorite in downtown Naperville. Afterward, we walked to the ice cream shop, then around the River Walk. By the library is an incredible memorial to those who lost their lives on 9/11, including a wall with facial representations of those who died designed by Naperville school children, a plaque commemorating a young Naperville naval officer who died at his post at the Pentagon, and a very large sculpture to which a large piece of metal support beam is attached. It is an actual salvaged piece of the wreckage of one of the Twin Towers.
This whole display is immensely moving. It has been there for several years, but I was so inclined to lead us over to see it again. After we looked for a while and began to walk away, Madeleine said, "I'm going to do something about world peace."
I said, "Oh? What?"
"I'm going to write a speech. I'll work on it tomorrow."
"If you are going to do something that important," I said, "Why not start today?"
"Well, Mom," she answered. "9:00's my bedtime."
World leaders have to start somewhere, don't they?
Summer Sheets
-
Coinciding with the Summer Equinox and the arrival of high temperatures, I
switched to my summer sheets today. Gathering the heavy flannel sheets for
the ...
13 years ago

1 comment:
Even future world leaders need their sleep :)
Post a Comment