Friday, June 27, 2008

Cinematic Ponderings


Oh gosh, have I become a humor Scrooge? Am I stingy with my funniness allotment? This afternoon David and I took Maddie and a friend to see "WALL-E" and it was all I could do to find it worth the almost $50 it cost for admission, popcorn and drinks. (Maybe that was the problem, the fact that an afternoon at the movies now costs $50?).

I really loved the "Toy Story"s, both one and two. I found "Monsters, Inc." frightfully wonderful. I began to slow down about the time "The Incredibles" came out, and slept right through a home viewing of "Ratatouille." "WALL-E," I think, has pushed me to the limit.

Maybe I've just seen too many children's movies in the last eight years since Maddie could sit through a show.

I was thinking about how it was when I was younger and was taken to the movies by my parents. My mother hated to spend money on the theater's popcorn, so she always brought her own. The day we saw the screen version of "Fiddler on the Roof," she whipped out of her oversized purse, a produce bag filled with buttery, salty, completely burnt popcorn. Mmm! Mmm! Maybe that's why I spare no expense when I take my own daughter to the movies.

"WALL-E" was very cute, especially the people in the second half. But I think I am starting to really lean toward wanting to see actual humans who have blood running through their veins rather than computer-generated animations. I don't know, maybe I'm just a movie miser.

4 comments:

Carol Weiss said...

Ben can not wait to see it!!! I hear you loud and clear girlfriend. I would much rather see SITC.

Anonymous said...

walle rules. don't believe Alisa's scrooge like meanderings.

Anonymous said...

The interesting thing is that I remember when movies started to get a little shorter and we all were all complaining about the length of movies being to short. Now it seems that if a movie is over a hour and 45 minutes it is too long. I have to admit with theater food cost being what they are I find myself sneaking more food into the theater. Do you know how hard it is to sneak in a full roasted turkey and dressing? or Tofurky for the carnivorously impaired.

Alisa said...

I have to admit I've never tried to sneak a Tofurkey into a movie theater. It's an intriguing thought. The only problem is that there is nowhere to put the gravy boat.