Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Trying Hard

I hate tea. But I want to like it. So I'm trying.

Everyone knows how good it is for you. Yesterday I read my millionth article extolling the cancer-fighting and other benefits of green tea, so I've decided that I just have to try my best to get it down. I guess those benefits won't go away just because I want them to. And just because I love Diet Coke like it's my baby and want it to have all the benefits of tea doesn't mean it will, dammit.

Tea certainly beats Diet Coke on many fronts, the biggest probably being that tea doesn't contain deadly chemicals. But I'm a grownup and I have the ability to force feed myself something that I would otherwise never consider. I'm thinking that maybe I can shake things up a little.

This very morning I bought some green tea. It's Bigelow "Constant Comment" Green, flavored with "rind of oranges and sweet spice." It smells great but tastes like crap. The only comment I am constantly making now is "Yuck." But still I persist.

And now I have just about finished the entire cup. My very first whole cup 'o tea. A hearty congratulations, please.

5 comments:

Pamela Larkin said...

Tea is my favorite drink. The secret is put a pack of sweet n low in the mug and it makes it taste so good. I love the Chamomile tea from Trader Joes and Tazo's tea is great too. ENJOY!

Dave said...

Get good tea, from a place like www.adagio.com, and then make it with good water. My favorite is Dragonwell from China. We had a pot of a passions-fruit green tea last night. Also, I don't like any sugar in it, I think it makes it taste funky so I decided early on I would drink it straight and now I love it.

Dennis said...

It's not hard to get "subject" to consume large quanties of Diet Coke. Ask any lab rodent. Delicious!

I like constant comment; did I say like? I mean love. It does get a bit strong and bitter if you let it steep longer than three minutes. You've got to pull the bag out while the liquid is still clear.

Dave said...

Oh, and use whole tea leaves, not bags. Bags are the dust left over when the real tea has left the building.

Dennis said...

I think the voters of Michigan just legalized your photo for medicinal purposes.