Thursday, October 16, 2008

The Mysteries Behind Closed Doors

Ever know someone you thought you really knew - someone who had it "all" and not a problem in the world? I am realizing more and more that there isn't a person like that in the universe.

I just recently had conversations with two people that made me realize that not one of us is immune to the realities of this hard and cold world, even when they may look and act like they are. Even when the world feels warm and fuzzy, the hardness and coldness is still just beyond.

Having dealt with little Amy and her situation opened my eyes to the stuff that is probably happening in my own backyard without my knowledge. Bad stuff - and I don't mean failing a class or breaking an ankle or gaining 10 pounds - isn't just stories you hear on the news - it's happening to the people you work with, the people you live next door to, your very own family members.

The grownups in my life always told me that life is hard. When my dad died, my Papa said that "death is part of life." I resented that because I thought that if he was trying to make me feel better with that idea, then he was sorely off the mark. But he was absolutely right. Death is part of life. And so is pain and addiction and divorce and going broke and illness and disappointment and loss and rejection and loneliness.

I guess it's how we get through those things that matters, not that they happen in the first place. I, for one, came through a very difficult spell last fall and winter and thank God it wasn't in vain. It's one thing to go through it, but it's totally another to learn from it. And learn I did.

So, sorry to be mysterious, but I just wanted to say publicly, but also privately so as to preserve the confidentiality of those people I referred to above, thank you for sharing with me and I totally understand. I understand because I know that not one of us will ever be able to say "that will never happen to me."

We just don't know.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great words of wisdom. Thanks for sharing.

Dave said...

Wowie! That was a doozie. I feel like you just told me a moral without a preceeding story :)

Alisa said...

I guess I'm just good like that.

:-)