Madeleine got a cell phone yesterday. I've never seen anyone so happy about anything. The elation of whoever wins the presidential race, Nobel Prize or Powerball jackpot cannot possibly surpass that of my daughter as the recipient of a new soft pink Razr.She's wanted a cell phone for years, but we've maintained that she's too young. And she was. And she still may be. But yesterday she went bowling with a friend and David and I were running late and couldn't reach them to let them know because we forgot to get the mom's cell number. I was all stressed out because we weren't going to be home when they got there and we decided that Madeleine needs a cell phone now that she's going out so much with friends. So we checked it out and figured that for an extra ten bucks a month and a free phone you can't go wrong.
I took her yesterday to pick it out. She didn't waste any time deciding on this cute little gadget and it looks good on her! She has notified everyone she knows: she called friends and family yesterday, took it to church today, showed everyone at the birthday party we attended this afternoon. She talks about it incessantly. It's out all the time, looking like it's growing out of her palm. I hear constant clicks and beeps and tones.
I love this because even though this is a purely material acquisition on her part and in the grand scheme of things will not really help to further her development in any significant way, it is something she wanted really badly and she finally got it. I remember wanting a few things that badly myself and I firmly believe that as long as you can afford something and you are not going overboard with giving your child everything they ask for at the drop of a hat, you may as well do for them the little things that give them a thrill.
And WHAT A THRILL!

1 comment:
I remember having that level of excitement too. For me it was when my name first appeared in a new phone book.
Post a Comment