
My father-in-law, Paul Wrobel, is very, very sick. In the last few days he has been diagnosed with COPD, or Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease.
According to the National Institutes of Health, most people who have COPD have both emphysema and chronic obstructive bronchitis. It is an evil disease which has no cure and is the fourth leading cause of death in the U.S. Currently he is hooked up to tubes and machines in the hospital. A machine helps him to breathe by forcing air into his lungs; it's not an invasive ventilator, but uses a mask over his mouth instead.
The carbon dioxide level in his blood is too high and therefore he is not lucid. It is tough on David, seeing him this way.
David has taken such good care of his father. In the past few years, amid failing health, Paul has been moved to Illinois so that David could manage his care. It has been tough to do so, but David has always, always, stepped up to the plate and done what has been needed. I am proud of my husband for pushing through the hard times and making the sacrifices he has in the name of family and Christian love.
Some of my friends and family have been in the position lately, of having to care or advocate for their parents. It is an unenviable capacity to find oneself in, hard to have the tables turned - they are taking care of the people who once took care of them.
Life goes along, and then sometimes you get sideswiped.

6 comments:
Alisa, I'm sorry to hear about David's dad...that is a very very hard thing to go through, for everyone.
I hope Paul gets better soon. I know how it feels to take care of someone...very hard job!
Alisa-
We are kindered souls. Please give David my best and I will say some special prayers for him along with my dad.
David I'm so sorry to hear about your dad. Steve and I send our thoughts and prayers
Sharon and Steve
I will keep Paul in my prayers..it is not easy to care for our parents.. it all comes full circle....
Post a Comment