Monday, December 1, 2008

Old and New


A fruitful weekend all around. I met someone new, tried to meet someone else new but failed, and saw a bunch of old people, too. (Not old as in old, but old as in from a long time ago in my life.)

I made my way over to my friend Dave's great new house to visit with him, Heather, his daughters and sister Mary (Hi, Mary!). Mary, being Dave's sister, lived on the same block as me, but I probably saw her exactly once in all those years. (She was on to bigger and better things by the time I finally met Dave.) It was wonderful to finally meet Mary, because we have gotten to know each other through our blogs without actually making physical contact. It is much better when you can actually see someone in real life. Unfortunately, I missed the new baby, Brooke, as she has been seeing a guy named Billy Rubin and he keeps taking her to the hospital. She hadn't returned yet by the time I had to leave, so really, Dave could just be making this whole new baby thing up as far as I know, since she is conveniently elsewhere whenever we have plans. Maybe its all just a ploy to get tiny little pink shoes and mittens out of me.

Friday night was the Oak Park High School reunion - a casual affair at a bar in the western suburbs, far away from the actual high school and its regular stream of police visits. Carol and I met Diane and Pam there and 203,948,459,385 other people, too, all crowded into a venue which was way too small to hold all those interested parties. But there were hugs all around and it was great fun.

I like to say that time is the great equalizer. Back in high school there were people that were kind of scary to me - you know, those intimidating people that maybe I had convinced myself were above me or maybe they themselves set that tone. But all these years later, we are all pretty much in the same boat - older and wiser, and having lived lives that have included things much more important than getting our butts into the best designer jeans and nabbing the cutest boy/girlfriend. If we knew then what we know now...right?

Anyway, this Thanksgiving was rife with things to be thankful for. My family, good friends, and my blessed life in general.

And to everyone who is a part of it - thank you.

4 comments:

Carol Weiss said...

It was a fun time. I wish we could have spent more time together. Bummer!!!!

Pamela Larkin said...

You look great! Come back soon! We all miss you.

Dave said...

Alisa, thanks for the boots, they fit me just fine :)

P.S. There were only 203,948,459,384 people at your reunion...I went to to different high school, remember?

wildmary said...

It was great to finally meet you, Alisa! It's been fun getting to know you in cyberspace and you're even lovlier in person (and so young!) And, yes, Virginia, I mean Alisa, there is a Brooke! See my recent post with the 30 second video...really! Just keep sending tiny shoes to Dave and Heather.