Sunday, December 14, 2008

The Bagpipes

The bagpipes came to church this morning. From our seat near the front of the sanctuary, I heard the first undertones, grabbed David and gasped. In full Scottish regalia two men walked slowly to the stage, the notes of "Amazing Grace" ascending from their instruments as if yearning for heaven.

I have loved the bagpipes since I was a child and their sound floated by me during parades, lodging in my chest, reverberating in my heart. One of the most mellow and dramatic tones I can think of, they have always evoked in me the innocent cries of babies, the desperation of deep, deep beauty. Their sound is sad and smooth, the mixture of drone and chanter forming a duet of perfect resonance. They make me cry.

4 comments:

Diane said...

I LOVE to hear Bagpipes being played. When I was growing up, during the summer a Scottish group would gather at the elementary school near my house and practice on the playground. We went to the Highland Games a few years ago just to witness the beautiful music Bagpipe create.

wildmary said...

There's a dentist in town who plays the bagpipes. He played at a wedding I went to - somehow bagpipes always magnify the emotional intent of the song. The kilt is cute, too!

Dave said...

That's interesting that you bring this up, Zach played me "Amazing Grace" on our way home from school Friday and I told him that song is often played on the bagpipes se we had to go home and hear it on youtube.

MW Noodle said...

I never new you liked to listen to bagpipes! they kinda look like over sized water guns. : )