I have been doing a lot of thinking and have finally made a decision that I am quite excited about. After working part-time for the past 11 years, it's time for me to rake the leaves off my career path and step on out. I'm going back baby, full steam ahead! I'd had some great jobs over the years, jobs that have taught me a lot, helped me to hone my skills as a professional. Then when Madeleine was born, I decided that my career was second to raising my daughter. I decided to go part-time.
Mother-wise, it was a great move. Working three days a week gave me a chance to both keep my foot in the door to the working world, while leaving a lot of time for Madeleine and I to just be together. For almost 11 years we did this and I have not one iota of a regret.
My professional life, however, suffered a bit. As a part-time admin, you don't always get the choice projects, the big responsibilities, because you are only there some of the time versus those that are there all of the time. So I got the grunt work. It wasn't all bad and I was still able to learn a lot of things.
Now, at almost 11 years old, Madeleine is much more involved with her friends and activities than she is with me. Hanging around with mom is not nearly as lucrative as playing Fantage on the Internet with her girls or running around on the basketball court. Some days she has multiple activities and playdates (I know, everyone hates that word - sorry) that span morning, afternoon and evening! I love seeing this - it means we've done our job well. And now it's my turn to get out there.
So, I am looking for an exciting job! In spite of the economy, I am holding out hope that there is a wonderful job out there for me, a terrific company that has an empty desk and chair just waiting for my butt to land on. It will be full-time and something I can sink my teeth into.
Please wish me luck. Better yet, say a prayer. Here I come!

3 comments:
Good luck Awisa! Us Wild girls know you can do it! We are keeping good thoughts and prayers for you =) Sure wish I could do the 3 days a week thing and get all that good time with my girls like you did with your Maddie.
Alisa-Good decision. Go find a job with gusto and pizazz that I know you have. I know you can do it and you do! Any couple would be pleased to have an employee like you.
You go girl. Ok, I never could pull off that expression, but the sentiment is the same! The best of luck to you in your career move.
Post a Comment