Sunday, September 14, 2008

If You Can't Beat 'Em...

Yesterday for the first time, I thought of changing my name. Well, it's really the second time. I thought of it once before, about 39 years ago after I saw "The Wizard of Oz" and told everyone to call me Dorothy. I swore I was going to "go to court" to have it changed legally, but thank goodness that idea only last for two days.

Anyway, it seems that so many people insist that my name is Alissa (pronounced with a short "i" rather than the "e" sound) that I am thinking of just giving in and going with the flow, as annoying as it is.

They call me Alissa at work. My manicurist calls me Alissa. My teachers call me Alissa and so do my classmates. They call me Alissa at church and at the doctor's office. Even my own Papa, though he pronounced it correctly, spelled my name with that extra "s" as long as he knew me.

Maybe I should just give up. I am tired of correcting people and I do not like to correct them because I am afraid I will embarrass them. But isn't it worse to be called by the wrong name? I think so. So, if you can't beat 'em, just join' em, I guess.

Maybe I should have gone with Dorothy after all. How many people mispronounce that? And if they do, I could always just go with Dot. Can't go wrong with Dot.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love your name. Please keep it. It's better than having your name Strawberry Filled Cookie. Then people would call you Straw for short.



Why did I just say that?

Dave said...

If I changed my name to what people usually call me, I would no longer be able to say it out loud in mixed company.

Dennis said...

Give 'em something to remember you by. Tell them, "I'm not just A-lisa, I'm The Lisa".

Kevin said...

How fortuitous that I read this. I was just wondering how to pronounce your name the other day. We have only seen our names in writing so I've never actually heard it said.

I also wasn't sure if i should have corrected you when you introduced me to your friend at Leo's. You gave my last name as Mittleton, a common mistake. :)