Thursday, September 18, 2008

Free and Easy (Food)

I don't know why I didn't step on him; he was sitting right there in front of me, and I'm sure it was only divine intervention that made me notice and veer off to the right. The sight of him was so unexpected that I stood still for a moment, wondering what I was really seeing. I bent down and began to talk to him. He was minuscule.

"Hey little guy, what are you doing here?" He was at least half the size of the ones I've always seen flying around the neighborhood. His wings stayed flat at his sides and I could see his little body expand as he breathed. I instinctively reached out a finger to him, though I had no intention of making contact, I instantly thought of avian flu. As my finger came toward him his tiny beak opened. Inside, his mouth was red as blood and was so hollow looking I thought that if I could get close enough I'd be able to see down through to his tail. He made no noise.

He was either a baby or full-grown and very stunted. Were there hatchlings in such late summer? As I talked to him, I moved a little closer and he opened his mouth again, bringing forth only silence. What could be wrong with this guy? I looked at him and he stared back at me, hard. I felt that I was seeing the most vulnerable creature on earth at that moment. For a second I thought of knocking on the door of the house he sat in front of and asking them for help. I was on my walking route. I had nothing to pick him up with, no shoe box to tuck him into and nurse him back to health. He didn't look sick and except for his bizarre behavior and tiny stature, he looked like any other brown bird I'd ever seen.

I walked behind him; he turned and watched me. I bent again and got closer, he opened his mouth and that eerie no-sound came out again.

I walked away. There was nothing I could do for him. A few steps later I turned and saw him hop onto the grass of the parkway. He was mobile, just not airborne. I wonder if he's still there or if he's been eaten by something yet.

Poor little guy.

3 comments:

Pamela Larkin said...

I hate to see injured birds. They make me sad because there is nothing you can do for them. You should have brought your cat out. I bet Daka hasn't had meat since 1972. :)

Dave said...

Thanks for depressing me on a Friday!

Dave said...

Wouldn't make much of a Coq au Vin.