A cousin of ours and her little dog have come to stay with us for a few days while her father is out of town tcb. She is a beautiful little girl, eight years old, bright as a 200-watt bulb and funny as they come. In many ways she is a typical young child, standing on the front porch ringing my doorbell (until I have to cover my ears) and giggling hysterically, practicing her cartwheels, drinking chocolate milk. Then there are things about her that are different from the children you typically know; these are a result of her unusual upbringing.
She was born in Thailand to a Thai mother and expat American father. She and her dad have been back in the states for about a year now, living in Arizona until circumstances brought them to Detroit, then the Chicago area. Amy's eyes are huge; they sit atop otherwise small features and are highlighted by her dark, dark brown bangs and silky hair that falls well past her shoulders. She is petite - size small falls off of her - but she is a ball of energy that didn't stop once yesterday until she was sound asleep. When you ask her a question that she doesn't want to answer she is perfectly silent. When Pam and I joked about her dog, she burst into tears.
My sister has come to stay with us this week to care for our cousin while I am at work. Need I say that this is a Godsend?
When I look at this little girl I see someone who, like all of us really, has been deeply formed by her life situation. She is so very young and I can see perfectly how she has been influenced and what she has been taught. Children may be silent with certain words, but the ones they do use speak volumes.
Summer Sheets
-
Coinciding with the Summer Equinox and the arrival of high temperatures, I
switched to my summer sheets today. Gathering the heavy flannel sheets for
the ...
13 years ago

No comments:
Post a Comment