
One week from today I go under the dental equivalent of the knife to have my implant done. It has been a very long haul tooth-wise, as I trudge through the slow, lengthy steps to the culmination of this past year of toothful disruption.
My oral surgeon, a very conservative, slightly eggheaded, albeit nice, man, likes to remind me every chance he gets of how I am one of his more nervous patients. He has put this idea forth at every one of my appointments. I understand that dentists must get tired of people whining and complaining about how this hurts and that stings, however, it is possible that he has been desensitized to the fact that when someone is presenting herself for IV sedation and complete trust in a man with whom the only thing she has in common is the fact that he performs surgery on her front tooth and gums, she tends to be skittish!
For my last procedure, a gum graft, I asked that I be kept in a "twilight" after the initial sedation for the bulk of the surgery. What I didn't count on was that my mouth would be propped open enough for a family to go caving in it and that my hands would be strapped down. Something had been placed on my neck - I still don't know what it was - and it was bothering me enough for me to try to tell the doctor, but with my mouth and hands in that state all I could do was emit guttural "AAAAHHH AHHH's" and listen to him tell me to stop trying to talk. So, this time I will just stay asleep the whole time.
Please say a prayer for me. I keep trying to keep in perspective what I am facing: it's not like I'm having an arm removed, or even more than one implant - I've heard of people having whole mouths full. Still, as the day draws near, I find my stomach in flutters.

5 comments:
I just said a prayer for you. You'll do fine. Just think - on that same day you go to get your implant...someone...somewhere is having quadruple bi-pass surgery, chemotherapy, a leg amputated or even worst and they're thinking "damn, I wish I was just having a tooth implant!" You're going to look beautifuller when it's all done.
Hey, good luck. You'll come through great. And it will be worth it. I understand you've had lots of dental duress...must be good to know that the end is near.
(the end of the duress, not of you).
:)
Suck it up, Lis! We do them every day at my office and rarely use sedation! And what do you mean dental personnel get jaded and unsympathetic?! :)
Mary,
I certainly didn't mean that ALL dental personnel get unsympathetic, but I think that maybe my oral surgeon may be. He ALWAYS brings up how "nervous" I am, but I can't imagine that I am any more nervous than any other patient - maybe I just express it more :-)
I would actually prefer to do it without sedation, but this guy insists on it. And this in spite of the fact that insurance doesn't even cover the anesthesia!
You will be fine. I will keep u in my prayers.
Post a Comment