Thursday, May 29, 2008

Sad Girls


I had a sad experience yesterday. A girl from Madeleine's class stole $10.00 from her. Maddie brought the money to school to pay for a lost library book. When it was discovered that library staff had misshelved it, Madeleine brought the $10.00 back to her classroom and put it in her desk (what 10-year-olds will do, right?). As today was the last day of school, she was cleaning out her desk and noticed the money was gone. A girl heard her say that and told her she found it on the floor and put it in her pocket. She then reached into said pocket and pulled out an empty hand. She said she lost it.

When Maddie told me this, I became pretty upset. It was obvious to me that this girl was lying. I tried calling her house and a recording said the number had been disconnected. So we got into the car and paid a visit.

When her stepmother answered the door, I calmly explained what I thought had happened. I have never before been in a position to accuse a young child of stealing money, but my gut told me that it is what happened. This woman understood my discomfort and immediately assured me that she was convinced as well. When she asked her stepdaughter about it, the girl denied any part in the theft. Her mom sadly told me that there is a long, unfortunate history of lies and difficult behavior with this girl, stemming from a sad very early childhood. She didn't have cash on her, she said, would I take a check? I told her there was no need - we didn't even know for sure. She insisted, so I said I would hold on to the check until the girl either fessed up or we found that something else had happened to the money.

Last night I got a call. There had been a profession of guilt and please, her stepmother said, go ahead and cash the check.

This little girl will be in our prayers. What happens to little kids to make them do things like this, I can hardly bring myself to ponder.

1 comment:

Dave said...

I know how she feels...a "friend" of mine stole my Spiderman medallion when I was younger. I still haven't forgiven him.