Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Perspective


I was at Walgreen's this morning picking up antibiotics. I have been complaining relentlessly about my gum graft, the before-, during- and aftermath of it has been challenging. I picked up a little abscess from a stitch and I have been on Amoxicillan for what seems like forever. It kind of upsets my stomach and I have to eat yogurt, which is not my favorite thing. So, bitch, bitch, bitch.

As I stood at the counter waiting for my drugs, I heard the guy at the drive-up window speaking:

"The prescription is for 1,080 pills and we could only get in 700. You'll have to come back for the rest."

I thought I heard him say 1,080 pills, so I said to the woman who was helping me, "Did I just hear him say 1,080 pills?"

She said, yes, they're for a woman who uses that much monthly. That's 36 pills per day. They're for pain.

I know I looked horrified. 36 pills per day. Every day. For pain.

My mouth feels a whole lot better.

1 comment:

Dave said...

I think perhaps she is at the point that she should be on a vicodin drip.