Madeleine was asked by a girl in her class if she liked Jeremiah. Madeleine has not liked Jeremiah since she met him in third grade (he's a troublemaker) and we have been subjected to a disproportionate number of Jeremiah stories over the last couple of years.However, Maddie's interest was piqued. And several machinations and stealth maneuvers later, none of which involved any direct contact between Maddie and Jeremiah themselves, they were officially "dating."
Then recess came and with it, the demise of this burgeoning affair. Evidently Jeremiah was acting "crazy" and Maddie had had enough. Three hours of dating someone who acted in this manner was her limit and she immediately broke up with him. I'm still not clear on whether she told him this herself or if a cohort was enlisted for the dirty work. Then he pushed her, the domestic abuser.
So, what are we to make of this, I wonder. Madeleine not being the nun-ish type, makes me realize that the convent is not an option, and I do not think it prudent to forbid her from having "relationships" at this age. True dating is another thing entirely - none of that until she's at least 16 and maybe even then some. I remember these schoolyard romances from my own grade school days - though I never partook (not that I wouldn't have, had somebody only asked) - they were completely harmless and a rite of passage.
I also know that I am being given just a glimpse into my future as the parent of a teenager.
Oy.

2 comments:
Perhaps they communicated through the ancient practice of "checkboxed" notes.
I remember when "seeing each other" meant you really tried hard not to look at that person in the hallway or on the playground because once you were "seeing each other", seeing each other was just embarassing!
Post a Comment