Madeleine learned to walk in January, just before she turned one. When the weather warmed, she and I embarked on our first outside walk where she could actually do the walking! I took her stroller just in case she conked out, but she was rarin' to go, and off we went down the block.
I quickly realized that this walk was going to be a very long one. It was every few steps that my little girl stopped walking to pick something up off the sidewalk. And what she was picking up was torn, dead leaves, splintered twigs, unremarkable pebbles, gnarled grass clumps. I began to rush her along, asking why she felt she needed those things. But she stayed true to her mysterious mission.
Then, and it was sudden, I realized something which would become one of the most important lessons of parenting to me. My daughter deserved to take her time and pick up every single thing that caught her eye. She was discovering the world right in front of my very eyes! Those moments were some of the most privileged I have ever had with Madeleine. I took her for a walk and she gave me a gift.
There was a shopping bag in the back of the stroller and I took it out and let her fill it up with all of her treasures. The inside of the bag became littered with what, to an unknowing bystander, would have looked like trash, but what it really was, was evidence of discovery and awareness.
Being a mother has taught me more lessons than any school ever could. And one little person has been sharing her incredible wealth with me every day and doesn't even know it.
The talent of children is reminding us of our forgotten wonder.
Summer Sheets
-
Coinciding with the Summer Equinox and the arrival of high temperatures, I
switched to my summer sheets today. Gathering the heavy flannel sheets for
the ...
13 years ago

3 comments:
WOW! I liked that story. Who ever thinks of those things? You are one great mom!
I remember the aha moment when I learned this lesson with my kids! The last sentence of your story is a quotable quote. M
Wow! Motherhood has so many unexplainable moments. I still have those "wow" moments with Ben. You are great mother, Alisa. Relish every minute of it!
Post a Comment