Friday, February 6, 2009

Tremble, Tremble, Shake, Shake

Over the years, I've amassed a great many things to be afraid of. For the happy-go-lucky person I appear to be (I'm not sure if that's a joke or not - and keep your opinion to yourself), I have found myself oppressed on many occasions by things that have put the bite of fear in me. Here's a list, non-exhaustive (Mostly because some things are so scary I can't even write about them.):

1. Flying in airplanes. I do it, but require several pills and friendly-seat mate's forearms to squeeze. And travel companions who are not embarrassed to be seen with a sweaty, white-faced, shaky, crazy-seeming lady who would dash off the craft at any moment if not for the threat of being detained for suspicion of terrorist leanings.

2. Going on roller coasters. When I was about four, my family went to Bob-Lo Island. I went on a roller coaster and was never the same again. Thanks a lot, Mom.

3. Daddy Long-Legs'. Shit, besides cicadas, centipedes, millipedes, praying mantises, worms and slugs, these are the scariest creatures in the insect world. Okay, yes, technically they're animals, but I refuse to accept that. I love animals, but I hate those horrid spiders, and do not feel that they merit a place in the animal kingdom.

4. Elevators. Hate 'em. In college I got stuck in one with my roommate. We were on our way to the 10th floor laundry room and my underwear ended up all over the elevator floor after it exploded out of my arms when the doors wouldn't open. Susan kept asking me what I would miss most if we never got out of there. I don't remember what I said, but she said orange juice. I think for me it was probably my sanity.

5. Not being able to breathe. Okay, not unusual. I suppose that if any one of us couldn't breathe, we'd be afraid, or at least slightly uncomfortable. Or dead. But I can't even watch scenes in movies where people are under water for too long. The crash scene in Castaway almost spurred me on to a popcorn refill when I was only halfway through the box.

6. Not doing well in school. Huge fear. I have something to prove. My grade point is precariously balanced between my self-esteem and the whim of my professors. One wrong move and...splat.

Conversely, I can speak in front of people, even large groups. So, it's possible that I'm slightly braver than at least part of the population.

2 comments:

Dave said...

Good post, I'm going to have to do one like that about me! I love spiders though, and roller coasters and most of the other things you hate, but I'll bet you are probably fearless with respect to many of my fears.

Like being buried alive or drowning.

wildmary said...

Ditto Dave. I was going to say we all have fears and think they make us less of a valuable person somehow. On the contrary, it's pretty amazing what we DON'T fear. I'm impressed that you can speak to a large group, but I love planes and roller coasters. some day do a post on the things you take in stride or at which you excel!