Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Mrs. Katz

One of the first people I ever knew died a few days ago. Her name is Sharon Katz.

The Katz's lived across the street from us. We were all friends at one time - dads, moms and kids. Michelle was my age and Jeffrey was one year younger than my sister. Our moms used to get together during the day and played a game with a name so funny, Michelle and I laughed about it all the time. It was called "Perquacky."

Michelle used to swim in my little backyard pool with me. We ate lunch together and shared many a Popsicle. She had good games at her house and didn't have to share a bedroom like I did, because she had a brother and not a sister and her parents didn't decide to make their third bedroom into a den. She told me that she knew this girl in 6th grade would hold her stomach in to look thinner and I was amazed for a couple of reasons: that Michelle had figured that out and that it was such a great idea. The summer we were three, our street flooded. It was like a gigantic pool. I was at Michelle's house when it happened, and Mr. Katz carried Michelle and me back to my house - the water was past his ankles. I have a picture of this, an old square black and white; big Mr. Katz was smiling broadly while two cute little girls hang off his shoulders.

Mrs. Katz was a sweet lady. But she and my mother had a falling-out and I was forbidden from playing with Michelle. I was not allowed at her house, nor was she welcome at mine. The tone was set for the rest of our relationship. It was uncomfortable and every time I socialized with Michelle I felt guilty, looking back over my shoulder for my mother's disapproving eyes. It was terrible and unfair.

Nevertheless, Mrs. Katz remained as sweet toward me as always. I knew she felt it was unfair to punish children for the actions of their parents, and she continued to welcome me in to her home.

The day of my father's funeral, Mrs. Katz invited me to her house after the chapel service. I was too devastated to go to the cemetery for his burial. She took me home with her and Michelle and gave me lunch. Michelle and I hung out in her room and I tried to act normal until my house began to fill for the shiva and I went home. My mother did not like this one bit, but for me, it was an oasis. I thanked Mrs. Katz for this one day when I ran into her as an adult.

About a year ago I heard that she was suffering from cancer. I don't know how long she lived with it, but I do know that she went through a very rough time. The blessing here, of course is that she is no longer in pain, but that is not all. It is mainly that many people were touched by this kind woman, including myself. As I would bump into her from time to time when we came to town, she consistently showed me the same cheerful kindness, the same level of caring, the same sweet smile.

Rest peacefully, Mrs. Katz.

3 comments:

Dennis said...

For me it was Mike and Alvina Schwartzenberger, only they remained lifelong friends with my parents.

Carol Weiss said...

Mrs.Katz was at the home where my dad was doing rehab. Jay and I saw her several times during our visits to my dad. I did not know her, but your blog gave me an idea of the kind of person she was.

David said...

Alisa. I know you hold a special place in your heart for Mrs. Katz. She is one of those people who stands out from crowd because of her kindness.