Monday, April 26, 2010

Back By Popular Demand!


I've been gently reminded that I'm a blog slacker, so here I am again.

In the background - like the old kitchen wallpaper your parents didn't realize was horribly outdated until they looked up from their coffee and kichel one day 40 years after moving into the house and were struck by a sudden epiphany: jeez, Harold, maybe it's time to get some new wallpaper, I'm finally tired of looking at these metallic gold ladybugs - time moves at the same pace every single day. But some days, I feel like it's working double time.


These lines around my eyes are starting to freak me out. Isn't growing old something other people do? You know, like those old ladies and men you see that have just always been old? Sure, they were young once, yeah, yeah - walked to school uphill both ways, had trouble accepting newfangled gadgets like cassette tapes, were appalled at those loosey goosies in hiphuggers tumbling around on waterbeds and listening to that ear-splitting music of the devil - but that all happened a long time before I ever came into the picture.
My grandparents were 50 when I was born, and of course they, too, were always old in my eyes. They died when they were 88 and 89 - really old! But now...I am five years away from the age I used to think was elderly and I am NOT even close to elderly, not by a longshot. Nor am I on my way to becoming an old person, because this is ME we're talking about.

Did any of that make sense or was it just a dementia-soaked rambling?

3 comments:

Dave said...

kichel. Thought I wouldn't notice that?

wildmary said...

Interesting that your grandparents were 50 when you were born. That's how old my dad was when my brother Brian was born! What a whole different perspective that creates!

Kevin said...

I'm constantly talking to people about how much younger we are than those of previous generations. I think in most cases it's simply because we had it easier than our Grandparents, that and the idea that they never really "got" The Beatles:)