Sunday, April 19, 2009

My Perfect Life

At some point in my life I decided how it was all going to turn out. I'd figured out many of the details early on, like my hair; it would be very long, straight and dark brown, no frizz. I'd be married at 22 and have two daughters, both with blond and curly hair. My career was as yet undefined, but exciting - I would travel and my husband would be very understanding about my responsibilities and demanding schedule and never would a rift occur between us.

Well.

I have half as many children, straight and dark-haired; my own hair has only reached past my shoulders once and briefly until I couldn't tolerate it anymore; my big career fell by the wayside. And the perfect, riftless marriage? Who among us can claim one of those?

The best laid plans...

2 comments:

Carol Weiss said...

My darling Alisa-there is no such thing as a perfect life! I too strived for perfection-it's ok the way my life has turned out-you have a great life as well! Don't change, my dear you are perfect the way you are and I love you!

wildmary said...

You wouldn't want your life any other way, would you? We all know deep inside it's not about having what we want, but wanting what we have.