For me, seeing the move "Precious" this afternoon was a painful experience. It made me think about the idea that we all have our baggage and our pasts, some of us more and worse than others. But we also have the power to change; there is no one worth listening to that says we can't. Therefore, if you decide not to change then you also decide to walk down a path crowded with demons. But it is a decision. And for that you are the one who should pay the price, and you alone.
Not one of us comes to the table free and clear. As parents, we carry into our children's lives the burden of what came before. But the payment for that burden should not rest on their shoulders, at least not in a perfect world. Just because there is no regulatory agency that decides who should and should not have children doesn't mean that bringing a life into this world gives a parent license to do with that life whatever she wishes.
I, myself, have fought against the effects of my childhood for my entire life.
Please read this with an understanding that I wish you to know me. Like all of us, the space I take up in this world counts for something. No one's life should be lived in silence.
Summer Sheets
-
Coinciding with the Summer Equinox and the arrival of high temperatures, I
switched to my summer sheets today. Gathering the heavy flannel sheets for
the ...
13 years ago

3 comments:
That must have been very hard to watch for you. I saw the previews and it looks really good, if difficult.
I agree with Dave Alisa, and I think you are very brave....not just because you have persevered, but because you have the courage to articulate it as well and share with those that care about you.
Well said, Alisa. I feel that truth is the only thing that can free us from burdens like that. You have surely risen above your past!
Post a Comment